Volunteer with SERC!
The Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC) couldn't carry out its mission without volunteers. Volunteering allows people of all ages and backgrounds to inspire and engage people and it's a wonderful opportunity to develop skills, explore another career, enhance personal growth, connect with others, strengthen communities, improve lives, and have a meaningful impact in today's world.
Explore our opportunities in more detail below and discover which program is right for you!
Environmental Education Programs
Share your enthusiasm for nature and the Bay!
- Help with hands-on programs and educational activities
- Guide hikes
- Guide canoe excursions
- Support the Education Program team with its volunteer coordination, recruitment, training, and other administrative projects
Citizen Science Programs
Work directly with our researchers as a citizen scientist!
- Study and identify marine invertebrates or parasites
- Participate in archaeology projects
- Work in our research laboratories
Want to join us?
Please contact Education Program Coordinator, Karen McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org or Citizen Science Program Coordinator, Alison Cawood at email@example.com for more information or to get involved!