Volunteer with SERC!
The Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC) couldn't carry out its mission without volunteers. Volunteering allows people of all ages and backgrounds to inspire and engage people and it's a wonderful opportunity to develop skills, explore another career, enhance personal growth, connect with others, strengthen communities, improve lives, and have a meaningful impact in today's world.
Explore our opportunities in more detail below and discover which program is right for you!
Environmental Education Programs
Share your enthusiasm for nature and the Bay!
- Help with hands-on programs and educational activities
- Guide hikes
- Guide canoe excursions
- Support the Education Program team with its volunteer coordination, recruitment, training, and other administrative projects
Citizen Science Programs
Work directly with our researchers as a citizen scientist!
- Study and identify marine invertebrates or parasites
- Participate in archaeology projects
- Work in our research laboratories
Lead hiking tours and introduce SERC's exciting environmental research to the public!
- Guide hikes along one of SERC's beautiful, waterfront trails
- Share your love of environmental science, nature, and the outdoors with the public
- Possible opportunities to interact with leading scientists and go behind the scenes on our research
Want to join us?
Contact us for more information and to get involved!
Education Program Coordinator: Karen McDonald, McDonaldK@si.edu
Citizen Science Program Coordinator: Alison Cawood, CawoodA@si.edu
Docent Liaison: Sarah Wade, WadeS@si.edu