Before the Sellman family arrived, the Shaw family possessed the land (1666-1729). The site is on the edge of a cultivated field and was discovered by security guards at SERC who noticed a scatter of artifacts in a freshly plowed field.
Investigations by citizen scientists began in 2014 starting with three non-invasive surveys. Since archaeology is a destructive science (once we dig things up we can't put them back) these methods helped us determine where to dig.
With the results from these surveys, we decided to begin digging where the metal detector concentrations overlapped with an anomaly in the magnetometer survey.