Book Giveaway: Building A Resilient Tomorrow
Alice Hill (University of Virginia)
Sign up to join SERC's free webinar with Alice Hill on May 18, and you could win a free copy of Alice's book, "Building A Resilient Tomorrow: How To Prepare for the Coming Climate Disruption." Co-authored with Leonardo Martinez-Diaz, "Building a Resilient Tomorrow" does not dwell on overhyped descriptions of apocalyptic climate scenarios, nor does it travel down well-trodden paths surrounding the politics of reducing carbon emissions. Instead, it starts with two central facts: climate impacts will continue to occur, and we can make changes now to mitigate their effects. While squarely confronting the scale of the risks we face, this pragmatic guide focuses on solutions—some gradual and some more revolutionary—currently being deployed around the globe.
Sign up for webinar: Lessons For Addressing Climate Change from the COVID-19 Pandemic
Can't make the live talk? If you sign up, you'll receive a link to the closed-captioned recording afterwards so you can watch it whenever you want. And you'll still be entered into the random drawing. On the other hand, if you want to join the talk but don't want a chance to win a free book, you can opt out by emailing Kristen Minogue at email@example.com.
Rules of Entry:
By entering the Building A Resilient Tomorrow Book Giveaway, entrants agree to abide by the following rules:
1. Entrants must be natural persons, U.S. residents, 18 years of age or older, except that entrants may not be a regent, officer, employee, fellow, intern, research associate, or volunteer of the Smithsonian Institution or a member of any of the foregoing’s immediate family or household.
2. To enter, register online for the May 18 Zoom webinar "Lessons on Addressing Climate Change from the COVD-19 Pandemic" with your name and email address. To opt out of the contest, email Kristen Minogue at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. One entry per person. Multiple entries void.
4. The Smithsonian will award two (2) prizes. The prize is a free copy of "Building A Resilient Tomorrow: How To Prepare for the Coming Climate Disruption" by guest speaker Alice Hill of the Council on Foreign Relations. The book has a fair market value of approximately US $22. If prize becomes unavailable for any reason, the Smithsonian reserves the right to substitute a prize of like or equal value. Winners may not request prize substitution. Winner is responsible for all taxes on the prize, if any.
5. The Smithsonian will select the winner randomly from the list of signups downloaded from Zoom as a .csv file after the event. Odds of winning depend on the number of entries received. No purchase necessary to enter or win. Purchase does not increase chance of winning. Contest void where prohibited.
6. The Smithsonian will notify the winner via email. If winner does not respond to the notification within five business days, another winner will be chosen. Failure to respond within five business days means the winner forfeits the prize.
7. The Smithsonian is not responsible for incomplete or misdirected entries, technical or network malfunctions or failures, or causes beyond its control. Entrants are solely responsible for their entries. The Smithsonian reserves the right to disqualify any entrant whose entry or conduct appears in any way to: inhibit the enjoyment of others; tamper with the competition; violate these Rules; infringe on the rights of third parties; or act in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. The Smithsonian reserves the right to cancel the contest or modify these rules at any time for any reason at its discretion. In the event of a dispute regarding the winners, the Smithsonian reserves the right to award or not award the prizes in its sole discretion. By entering this contest, entrants agree to be bound by these Rules and the decisions of the Smithsonian, which are final and binding in all respects.
8. After June 1, 2021, you may obtain a list of winners by emailing Kristen Minogue at email@example.com.