SERC Public Tours
Free; Advance registration required
Experience an insider's view of SERC on a free outdoor hiking tour led by our volunteer docents. You'll walk along the waterfront, cross marsh boardwalks and hike on paths through the forest, while learning about SERC’s cutting-edge research projects on climate change and other issues where the land meets the sea.
Tours are limited to 10 people and require advance signup with dates announced ahead of time. If you have questions or comments, or if the tour you wish to attend is full and you would like to be added to a waitlist, please send us a message at SERCPublictours@si.edu. Please note, if a tour has two or fewer registrations, it may be subject to cancellation. We will let registrants know at least 24 hours in advance. Additionally, we reserve the right to cancel due to inclement weather or other safety concerns.
PLEASE NOTE: Tours last approximately 90 minutes, and involve about one (1) mile of walking, starting at the Reed Education Center (directions). These tours are adult-oriented and will include walks on uneven and unpaved, gravely forest paths and wooden marsh walkways with some inclines. Proper footwear is required (no flip flops). Closed toed, secure shoes are strongly encouraged.
If you have questions or comments, please send us a message at SERCPublictours@si.edu.
Interested in becoming a SERC docent? Learn how to get involved!
- Wednesday, September 27th, 9:30am ***at capacity***
- Saturday, September 30th, 9:30am ***at capacity***
Check back soon for October dates!
If you do not see a signup form on the date you wish to book, it means that tour is full. If you wish to be added to a waitlist for any of the tours, please email SERCPublictours@si.edu.
Know before you go!
- Your tour will take you on uneven forest paths and marsh walkways. As such, we recommend wearing closed toed shoes, and bringing water, bug spray and sunscreen.
- SERC loves animals, but because we're an active research facility, we sadly cannot accommodate pets on tours! Please leave all pets at home except service animals.
- By signing up for this tour, you consent to having your photograph taken and your name and image used by the Smithsonian for outreach and other standard museum purposes. Read our full photo release form. Prefer not to have your photo taken? Let us know at SERCPublicTours@si.edu 24 hours before your tour, or simply tell your tour guide at the event.