SERC Public Tours
Free; Advance registration required
Experience an insider's view of SERC, on a free outdoor walking tour led by one of our volunteer docents. You'll walk along the waterfront, cross marsh boardwalks and hike through the forest, while learning about SERC’s cutting-edge research projects on climate change and other issues where the land meets the sea.
Tours are limited to 10 people and require advance signup with dates announced ahead of time. If you have questions or comments, or if the tour you wish to attend is full and you would like to be added to a waitlist, please send us a message at SERCPublictours@si.edu. Additionally, if a tour has two or fewer registrations, it may be subject to cancelation. We will let registrants know at least 24 hours in advance. Additionally, we reserve the right to cancel due to inclement weather or other safety concerns.
Tours last approximately 90 minutes, and involve about 1/2 mile of walking, starting at the Reed Education Center (directions). These tours are adult-oriented and will include walks on forest paths and marsh walkways. Proper footwear is required (no flip-flops).
If you have questions or comments, please send us a message at SERCPublictours@si.edu.
May Tour Dates:
- Saturday May 14th, 10am (CANCELED)
- Saturday May 21st, 10am (full)
If you wish to be added to a waitlist for either of the May tours, please email SERCPublictours@si.edu.
Know before you go!
- Your tour will take you on uneven forest paths and marsh walkways. As such, we recommend wearing closed-toe shoes, and bringing water, bug-spray and sunscreen.
- To protect our visitors and staff from COVID-19, masks are required to use the indoor restrooms in the Reed Education Center. Read more about our safety precautions in our COVID-19 Visitor Guide.
- SERC loves animals, but because we're an active research facility, we sadly can't accommodate pets on tours! Please leave all pets at home except service animals.
- By signing up for this tour, you consent to having your photograph taken and your name and image used by the Smithsonian for outreach and other standard museum purposes. Read our full photo release form here. Prefer not to have your photo taken? Let us know at SERCPublicTours@si.edu 24 hours before your tour, or simply tell your tour guide at the event.