Education: Chemistry & Environmental Studies Washington College, 2013.
M.Phil. Environmental Earth Science, James Cook University, Australia. Enrolled
Projects: Muddy Creek Stream Restoration
Broadly, I have a passion for exploring relationships between human activities and aquatic biochemical processes. Specifically, I am interested in studying how nutrients and other environmental pollutants enter aquatic environments, react within the environment, and are finally removed. I am especially interested in exploring these questions in estuaries, complex environments where freshwater and saltwater mix. It is my aspiration to better understand the way that estuaries function chemically while providing data to organizations that will better guide policy or engineering solutions for water quality issues. Thus, my interests are in better understanding basic scientific principles about estuary ecosystems, while applying my discoveries to better manage these environments.
- Rolf, J., C. Pelc, M. Ruehrmund, J. Thompson, T. Jordan. 2015. Stream Restoration by Regenerative Stormwater Conveyance to Improve Water Quality in the Chesapeake Bay. Geological Society of America Conference; 2015 Nov 1-4; Baltimore MD
- Ruehrmund, M., J. Rolf, T. Jordan, J. Thompson, J. Kreibich, W. Brogan. 2015. Evaluating Regenerative Stormwater Conveyance for Stream Restoration. Maryland Water Monitoring Council Conference; 2015 Nov 13; Lithicum, MD.
- Ruehrmund, M., M. Loudenslager, M. Lavrn, C. Schaeffer, D. Ferrier. 2014. Initial Assessment of Air and Water Temperatures Along Tuscarora Creek in Frederick Maryland for Brook Trout Habitat. Chesapeake Watershed Forum. September, 2014, Shepherdstown, WV.
- McAvoy, A., M. Loudenslager, M. Lavrn, M. Ruehrmund, D. Ferrier. 2014. Beating the Heat: Using Floating Treatment Wetlands to Cool Storm Water Ponds in Frederick, Maryland. Chesapeake Watershed Forum. September, 2014, Shepherdstown, WV.
- Cloud, S., C. Schaeffer, M. Ruehrmund, D. Ferrier. 2013. An Assessment of Water Quality and Phytoplankton Composition in Lake Linganore, Frederick County, Maryland. Maryland Water Monitoring Council Conference. December, 2013, Lithicum, MD
- Schaeffer, C., S. Cloud, M. Ruehrmund, D. Ferrier. 2013. Assessment of the Effects of Emergent Plants on Benthic Algal Growth in Carroll Creek, Frederick, MD. Maryland Water Monitoring Council Conference. December, 2013, Linthicum, MD. (Received a Student Poster Award)
- Ruehrmund, M., D. Ferrier. 2013. Evaluating the Restoration of Culler Lake & Conducting a Drainage Basin Retrofit Inventory, Frederick, MD. Chesapeake Watershed Forum. September, 2013, Shepherdstown, WV.
- Ruehrmund, M., 2013. Identifying Mixed Water Characteristics of the Upper Reaches of the Chester River in Kent and Queen Anne’s Counties, MD. Washington College Senior Seminar Thesis Presentation. May, 2013, Chestertown, MD.