Data Manager/Biological Technician
Starting Salary: $40,883/year plus benefits
Note: This is not a federal position.
Deadline: Open until the position is filled. Reviews beginning Aug. 22, 2022
Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8 hours/day, full time
Location: This position is based at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC) in Edgewater, Maryland. SERC is a research center of the Smithsonian Institution, located on the western shore of Chesapeake Bay, approximately 10 miles south of Annapolis, 40 miles west of Washington D.C., and 40 miles south of Baltimore. The 2,650-acre SERC campus contains a laboratory and office complex, as well as educational and waterfront facilities.
Description: We are seeking a Data Manager to work in the National Ballast Information Clearinghouse (NBIC). The NBIC is a partnership of SERC and the U.S. Coast Guard and is federally mandated to track the delivery and management of ballast water from commercial ships arriving to U.S. ports. Working with the NBIC team, the Data Manager’s primary responsibilities will be assisting in the processing of Ballast Water Management Reports (BWMRs) submitted to the NBIC by commercial ships. The purpose for this data collection is to analyze and synthesize information on ballast water delivery and management in relation to invasions by nonindigenous marine and estuarine species. This will be a year-to-year appointment, and renewal is dependent on performance and funding availability.
- Working with a team of Data Managers to process BWMRs submitted to NBIC by commercial ships arriving to U.S. ports.
- Using a proprietary custom software package which receives, reviews and initially processes BWMRs, allowing quality control processing by the Data Managers. On-the-job training will be provided to learn this software. Although all BWMRs are received electronically, some forms will require manual data entry.
- As part of BWMR processing, it may be necessary to clarify a BWMR submission via email communication with a ship operator. On-the-job training will be provided to learn how official responses to ships are generated and transmitted.
- Data Managers will sometimes be requested to assist the NBIC Operations Manager, Senior Analyst or other senior personnel with special projects associated with analyses of the NBIC data.
- As a member of the NBIC team, the Data Manager will be expected to actively participate in all NBIC and SERC Marine Invasions Lab meetings when requested, and will have the opportunity to participate in some aspects of SERC research projects.
The Smithsonian Institution is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a policy of non-discrimination on the basis of race/ethnicity, national origin, sex, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, marital/parental/caregiver status, and disability. The SERC community recognizes the value of diversity in promoting innovative science and creative solutions, and we strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. We recognize that each applicant for this role will bring unique skills, knowledge, experiences and background to this position. Competitive candidates will have some, but not necessarily all, of the listed qualifications and experiences.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in natural, physical, or social science, geography, or environmental studies.
- Working knowledge of computer programs such as: MS Excel or Access (including ability to generate summary data graphs MS Word or similar word processing program, presentation software such as MS PowerPoint or similar.
- Ability to relate to and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and ages.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and responsibility.
- Knowledge of virtual meeting software, such as Zoom or MS Teams.
- Interest or experience in invasion biology.
To apply: Applications should include a cover letter that clearly describes your work experience (including experience working independently and as part of a team), a current resume, and an unofficial copy of your college transcript. In your cover letter and resume, please include any information about your education and/or training that relates to the position. Applications should be submitted by email to Laura Falsone at FalsoneL@si.edu with the subject line "NBIC Data Manager."