Ready to Come to SERC For Your Field Trip, Professional Development, or Training?
Follow the instructions below to get your trip booked and to get your students prepared for a fun, educational day. Also, please remember to read our Field Trip Policy Form:
1.) Please fill out our online Field Trip Request Form. Once we receive your request we will contact you.
2.) Confirmation & Deposit-Once the date, time, and program are agreed upon a SERC Staff member will send you a confirmation agreement and invoice for the program deposit. There is a $100 program deposit required to hold your date/time. Deposits are non-refundable (except in emergencies or cancellations by SERC staff) and go towards your total program fee. You will have 10 business days to pay the program deposit. You may pay by credit card by calling (443) 482.2202 or send in a check.
3.) Follow Up- you will receive an e-mail confirmation, and details about how to prepare for your trip, about 3 weeks before you're scheduled to go. Be sure to go through the following tabs to prepare for your field trip and what to expect while you are at SERC.
4.) Visit- On the day of your visit we will create an invoice for you based on how many students participate and we will electronically e-mail this to you. If you require a printed version then please let us know. The balance will reflect a deduction of your deposit.
5.) Final Payment- You will have 10 business days to send in your final payment or call our office (443) 482.2202 to pay by credit card over the phone (443) 482.2202.
When you bring a group to SERC for a field trip, we want to make sure that you have the best experience possible. To help you with this, here are some resources for planning your field trip, including things to do before you arrive and how to prepare your students.
- Prepare for weather
- Consider commute time and traffic **NOTE: Google Maps takes you to the wrong location, please use the directions provided on SERC's website for directions.
- Provide payment in full upon arrival or have arranged to remit payment within 10 days of field trip
Dividing the Group
- Students: dependent on program activity (see downloadable PDF for instructions)
- 3rd-12th Grade: 1 adult per 10 students
- Special Education: 1 adult per 5 students
- Canoe trips require additional chaperones (see downloadable PDF for instructions)
Clothing (Students and Chaperones)
- Prepare for weather
- Closed shoes (toe and heel)
- No crocs, flip flops, open toed or open backed shoes
- Change of clothes
- Light jacket or raincoat (if needed)
- Sunscreen, allergy and other medications
- If anyone has known allergies (e.g. shellfish), please be sure to let SERC staff know at the beginning of the day
Food and Beverages
- Water bottle
- Lunch (food is not available at SERC)
When you bring a group to SERC for a field trip, we want to make sure that you have the best experience possible. To do this, we need your help. Please follow these short expectations:
- Active participation during the program
- Remain with your assigned student group at all times
- Model kind behavior towards all animals
- Parents and chaperones may have phones, but we ask only for taking photos
- Students should leave all technology at home, school, or on the bus
- Limit photos to before and after program
- Wear name tags (students and chaperones)
- Abide the maximum speed limit of 15 mph on SERC's campus
- Most activities are our outdoors
- You may get wet
- You may get dirty
- You may be exposed to the sun and elements (e.g. rain, wind, etc.).
Please check back soon for information regarding field trip related activities that you can incorporate into your classroom lesson plans.
Field Trip Resources:
How to Prepare for Your SERC Field Trip (PDF): Information on field trip preparation which covers topics such as travel time, payment, weather policies, chaperone policies, clothing policies and food.
Chaperone Field Trip Information Sheet (PDF): Information about expectations of chaperones and a field trip quick reference sheet with information about schedules, safety, school/ groups, students and teachers.
Download the PDFs below to get a more in-depth description of each field trip, provides a list of NGSS standards met by the field trip, and a list of media (videos, books, and links) that you can use to help prepare students for each station on the field trip.